The spirit for me is the soul and the energy within us. We all have a spirit within us whether we choose to acknowledge this or not. When we die the spirit leaves and the body is left behind.
In order to develop a strong connection with your own spirit you need to spend time listening to it.
I’m sure we can all agree that the human race is very clever and this is not determined by individual race or sex. There have been many great inventors and philosophers. These people come from every corner of the earth and have achieved wonderful and unimaginable things during their life. When we work on our spirit we are working on strengthening our character in ways that can seem contrary to the mainstream world. We are working on that life force energy that brought everything in this world into being. Everything started with a thought. We spend a huge part of our lives distracted by TV, phones and the Internet. Wait I’m not saying turn your laptop off, at least read my post first please 🤗 Not only do we have responsibilities that can take us away from living in spirit, we also play a running commentary in our head. You might even be doing it right now, thinking what is she going on about? Have you ever stopped to listen to what you actually say to yourself about yourself in your head? Or what you say about others?
- In order to develop our spirit we need to quieten what some call the “Chatterbox” within. It is easier said than done and I have tried many a exercise to develop the skills of quietening the mind. I remember the first time I decided to meditate I thought I would be able to just sit down and straight away just do it. How I still have to practise now to quieten the mind and I probably will never master it. That said once you consciously decide to take charge of your mind and meditate there is plenty of resources out there to help. When the mind is quiet genius happens. In that moment we are in a state to receive, we remove our own obstacles. It takes years of continous practise and is useful for a number of reasons. If we are in distress being able to quiet the mind can stabilise our emotions. We can think clearly and be creative when we are not running a negative record in our minds. Instead of focusing on the past or future we can focus on the now.
A few exercises I have picked up from the hundreds of self development books I have read include
1. Wear an elastic band on your wrist and pull it and snap it back into your wrist every time you think something negative. This is a way to use the Neuro Linguistic Programming techniques used to help stop negative thinking.
2. Learn to meditate and quiet the mind. Build up the time you spend in total silence. You might try 2 minutes and build up to 15 or 30 minutes. This exercise works well when running.
3. Look at these areas of your life and spend time identifying what you want. You can divide these aspects of your life into categories.
- Relationship/ Marriage
- Hobbies/ Creativity
- Self development
- I have found that if one category is out of sync it affects the other things. I list education and self development as separate as education could include training for work or for a career. Self development is a process used to shape aspects of your character and to develop qualities for your personal development.
See also my other posts